Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Computers and Writing Assessment

I found an interesting article discussing assessments and their validity relative to the types of learning allowed by technology. The article, entitled Assessing Effects of Technology on
Learning: Limitations of Today’s Standardized Tests
, can be found here http://www.bc.edu/research/intasc/PDF/EffectTechOnLearn.pdf.

The article looks at standardized tests and the effects computers have had on students' performance on these tests. While a portion of the article discusses mathematics assessments, detailing how standardized tests do not adequately assess the types of learning made possible by computer software, the most intriguing point made in the piece had to do with standardized writing exams.

After reviewing several studies, the authors of the article -- Russell and Higgins -- note that, for writing assessments, the scores of students who were accustomed to using word processors to type their work suffered when those students had to write with pencil and paper. Essentially, students are put at a disadvantage given that they are assessed using a different medium than that which they normally use to write papers. Furthermore, Russell and Higgins note that "teachers across the nation ... believe that they are not using computers for writing because the state-mandated test is handwritten" (2003, p.5). It is clear, then, that students will likely not be exposed to computers as much as they could be -- and therefore not reap the possible benefits of using technology to learn -- if state tests continue to be designed in a way that dissuades teachers from including computers as a part of their instruction.

I have experienced the same hesitations. For Florida's state-wide writing assessment, students must hand-write an essay in forty-five minutes. It makes no sense for me, or any of my colleagues, to give students practice writing timed essays on computers if they will be assessed on essays they write by hand. It would be akin to allowing students to use calculators in math to practice for an exam that does not allow for calculator use. The most I have done is allow students to occasionally revise their essays at home to improve their scores on the in-class timed writings I grade. Students often find using computers to type essays easier because it allows them to, with a drag of their mouse and the click of a button, remove sections they find weak, rearrange portions to better organize their ideas, and add words to certain areas to further clarify their writing. Pencil and paper essay-writing simply does not allow this, certainly not with the ease of doing so on a computer.

Russell and Higgins conclude that these standardized tests must be revised in order to truly gauge the performance of students who work with and learn through technology on a regular basis. To me, it seems hypocritical for lawmakers to insist on increased use of technology when standardized tests do not accurately measure the skills that are taught through technology.

3 comments:

Ann V. said...

Richard--

Interesting article. It does seem hypocritical to assess writing skills using a handwritten test and then promote word processing in the classroom. I am surprised that this test and many others have not become computerized. Forgive my ignorance ( I teach Spanish and therefore am saved direct contact with these nasty exams!), but how long have writing assessments been a part of the test? Am I mistaken that they are a fairly new addition? I am thinking back to my GRE experience a year ago and know that I would have miserably failed the written portion had I not been able to word process!

Ann

Laine said...

Hi Richard,

This is quite a controversial topic, no matter what the grade level. I actually wrote a news article about this a few years ago for my college newspaper (Oklahoma State) that got the front page headline. You can find it at
http://www.ocolly.com/read_story.php?a_id=19950
Although you are looking at it from a different angle (writing instead of grading), I thought you might be interested to see how this can stir up a lot of nerves even among educators.

As for the use of computers to write essays, I have never allowed my students to use the computer to respond to a 45-minute prompt. Like you suggested, it's pointless and possibly even harmful. The sad part is that there's such a push in writing in 4th grade that students frequently write an essay or two per week. This takes up most of the instructional time! So how are they supposed to use computers in writing when there's simply no time? Interesting thoughts!

Crystal Crozier said...

Richard, although I am a Math/Science/Social Studies, writing is cross-curricular, so I do employ it in my classroom. I do admit that I only allow my students to use the computer to publish their final draft. I primarily do this because if not, my students would rely on spell-check to correct their words. Some have went as far as letting the computer change their name because it said it was spelled wrong.

Our 5th graders in Georgia must complete a state-mandated writing test, and like Florida, they are not allowed to use the computer. The entire process must be done with paper and pencil.

Just as the writing test does not allow computers, the CRCT does not allow calculators on the use of this test. I do find that I rarely allow students to use calculators in Math because they will not be allowed to use them on the test; however, maybe I should do away with this idea. Last month, the NAEP was administered to my 4th grade students and some sections of the test required calculator usage. I could see the look of frustration in my students eyes.

I wish their was a definite answer to all our technological queries.