Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tool

One of the difficulties I've come across when evaluating research -- specifically educational technology research -- is determining the reliability of the results. Most articles I've come across have had statements lauding the educational benefits of technology, evidenced by some statistics showing improvements in certain quantifiable areas, such as state achievement tests or nationally standardized tests. And in those cases where there are little explicit improvements shown, the researcher makes some statement along the lines of "students improved in areas that are not currently measured by standardized testing."

This article provides many of the same assertions, but it tempers them by offering some of the pitfalls of assessing the benefits of educational technology. I was pleased to finally come across literature that mirrors some of the same beliefs I have formed over the past several months. One line stood out in particular:

"...we need to remember that technology is only one component of an instructional activity. Assessments of the impact of technology are really assessments of instruction enabled by technology, and the outcomes are highly dependent on the quality of the implementation of the instructional design."

Exactly! For all my cynicism, what I have really been trying to say is technology is not a panacea for all that ails public education, either in this country or abroad. This whole thing about the 100 dollar laptops? Terrible. It's all completely predicated on the idea that, somehow, sticking technology in some kid's lap is going to ensure that he transcends his third-world position and makes something of himself. Please. Such beliefs are misguided and could actually do more harm than good. All the money that has been spent creating these laptops could have been spent putting systems of learning in place that would have done the exact job these machines are supposed -- but can't on their own -- get done. And why on earth would we give an advanced piece of technology to someone who feeds on what most countries feed their livestock? I see a strong correlation between this large-scale misappropriation of time, effort, and funds and the smaller-scale concept that is beginning to be engendered by many educators: If it's technology, it must be good.

No matter what, we need to, as educators, look at our objectives, look at our students, and then scaffold activities to help students meet their goals. If there is a technology out there that can help our students meet their goals, perfect. If not, we shouldn't ram it down their throats just so we can say "I incorporated technology into my classroom!" Good for you! But did your students learn anything other than how to circumvent the school's firewalls so they can get onto MySpace? If not, perhaps it's time to look at instruction first, technology (as a tool) second.

Oh, and maybe watch what your students are doing instead of thinking they'll learn from technology while you get to sit back and play solitaire.

This is what happens when I'm sick, tired, and work with people who allow these things to happen.

2 comments:

Ann V. said...

"Oh, and maybe watch what your students are doing instead of thinking they'll learn from technology while you get to sit back and play solitaire."

LOL! I have taught with some peers who follow this philosophy as well! I agree 100% with you that instruction should be driven by content and enabled by technology if the technology fits and if the instructor is comfortable with the technology. I believe that the kind of teacher we are referring to above is in a league of their own and that, in all likelihood, no amount of MEANINGFUL professional development will change their philosophy.

However, I think that many teachers are using technology for technology's sake and saying, "Look I'm using technology" because it's become mandated and part of their evaluation criteria. Adminstrators need to be able to check it off, teachers need to be able to produce it. Now, whether the production is any good or not is another question altogether. I think the majority of these teachers fall into another category altogether-they need more MEANINGFUL professional development. If they need to improve their content area knowledge-then get them there. If they need technology training-give it to them and then REALLY give them the time to develop their skills and lessons effectively. It's been my experience that the average teacher is too bogged down with the little stuff already and then when something like this is thrown at them..they "do enough."

While technology is not the end-all be-all answer to everything, I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't help the students develop their "21st century skills." To do that, we need to bridge the gap between our skills and theirs. Would a student rather make a poster, or a movie, or a podcast, or something using Photoshop. The bigger question is...when they get out into the "real" world, which will take them further-their "poster" making skills or their ability to use technology to produce an end-product that meets the needs of the assignment?

Laine said...

I really like the way you think, Richard, because you are in many ways my opposite. I hate to admit this, but most times when I am introduced to something new- whether it be a program, technology, or skill, I am quick to say "let's do it" and fail to ask questions. I guess that's the optimist in me hoping this "something new" will change the world, not realizing people might be feeding me a line. What can I say...I'm gullible.

I'm looking forward to reading your response to Ann's most recent post about a research study.

Bridging the gap between what we know and what the kids know is essential. Just as important is making sure we are responsible teachers using technology for a greater purpose than just saying "I used it." As you probably know by now, I am a great advocate for exposing kids to as much as possible and letting them make decisions from there. As much as I love new technology, I will never allow it to become the sole component of my class, unless of course my life depends on it. :-)