Sunday, April 1, 2007

Processed Words

I did some thinking this morning about the effects of using word processors in class rather than the traditional pen (or pencil) and paper. I was able to use my e-machete (google) to traverse the forest of available literature on this topic, and I discovered this meta-analytical study.

I’ll probably use this article for a few of my upcoming blog entries because it has a wealth of information. The first topic I want to focus on is the study’s finding that, on average, students write more words on any given assignment when using a word processor than when forced to use a writing utensil and paper. There was little discussion of possible reasons for the difference in writing, other than the same trite assertion that’s been made countless times in literature about educational technology: increased student motivation.

I’d like to propose another idea that I haven’t heard discussed yet. Studies have explored the idea that the current generation of students is more visually literate than previous generations. Primary-school aged children interact with more visuals than ever before, in the form of electronic games, websites, and portable devices such as cell-phones and PDAs. We all judge things based on their visual appearance anyway, but perhaps the current generation does so even more, especially in electronic environments such as the internet.

Word processors generally standardize what a text “looks like.” Most word processors are set to the same font size – twelve – and students would have to go out of their way to change the size or style. Students’ penmanship styles, however, vary greatly. Many of my female students employ what I call “oooooo” writing because every letter looks like a circle on the page. This type of writing tends to be larger than “average” student writing. Many of my male students, conversely, write in a way that necessitates the use of a magnifying glass. The visual difference between 150 words (a decently-sized paragraph) in one style versus the other is dramatic.

Generally speaking, my students who tend to write larger feel as if they are writing “enough” in part because there appears to be more writing on the page. What’s interesting is that many of my students who tend to write smaller have expressed that there appears to be “less” on the page than their classmates because they write smaller. Now, these observations aren’t true across the board (is much of anything?), but I feel that the justifications on the part of my students are enough to make a statistical difference in a study of the kind described in the article. When students type in word processors, there can be no justification, one way or the other, for the length of students’ writing. What they see is what they get, and I think students are aware of that. Furthermore, even for students who write average-sized letters, standard 12 point font takes up less space on the page.

I think it is possible that students feel compelled to write more in part because word processors make it appear to them that they are not writing “enough,” and it is easier when typing documents in word processors to add words, phrases, clauses, and sentences in than it is when handwriting documents. I’m sure the visual aspect of word processing does not completely account for the statistical differences found by the study, but it certainly is possible that it plays a role.

2 comments:

Laine said...

Richard-
I certainly agree and really enjoyed reading your thoughts as it was something I had not previously considered. I particularly liked the part where you mention that students might feel like they should write more because the word processor makes it look like they're not writing enough. I literally visualized myself at the computer doing that very same thing in high school! The "ugghhh...this is too short" gremlin constantly reared its ugly head. Of course there were times when the length requirement for an assignment was the primary motivation, but I get your point.

It's an interesting argument that might be difficult to qualify with research, but absolutely rings a bell. I have a few boys who write very small and have told me several times that their writing fulfills the length requirement even though it may not appear that way. They passionately argue that their writing is smaller and thus fills less of the page. Most times they are correct, although some use it as a weapon to defeat the evil teacher.

Now, if they would only spell out entire words rather than using IM lingo, their writing would realllly take up some space.

:-)

Ann V. said...

Richard-

This theme is one of the most prevalent I have come across throughout my research on laptops and learning. I just compiled survey results from 150 7th grade students who participate in a 1:1 laptop initiative and one of the most common comments was something relating to the fact that they much preferred word processing their work than writing it. I have seen it noted in the literature, however, and I'm sure we've discussed it in someone's blog, that many teachers are hesitant to allow the students to word process as the writing portion of the "high stakes test" they are prepping for is "handwritten."

I also was intrigued by your reference to the role of "visual literacy". Digital Photography and Visual Literacy was the first class I took in this program and it seems like a lifetime ago now, but I remember discussing some of the same themes you mention. I think you are right on in your evaluation that the current generation is completely immersed in this visual explosion. Their lifestyle is completely enveloped in digital technologies and I think that part of their apathy towards much school work (aside from the typical teenage angst) is that it seems so much less appealing than what they're used to. Trite as it may be...:)! a little motivation can go a long way!

Finally, I was LOL at your references to the females and their "oooooo" writing and the minutia of many male students' writings! You remind me of brother (high school English teacher) in both your writing style and sarcasm! Many people will say something like, "oh you won't be able to read my writing" and I always respond with, "Yes, I will. I taught high school kids for 11 years!" Funny how you can learn to decipher almost anything!

Ann