Friday, April 13, 2007

Romeo, I <3 U

Ann sent me an excellently written paper about instant messaging as a new literacy. Throughout my research and discussions with my classmates, Laine, Ann, and Crystal, I have come to understand that instant messaging and text messages are not the end of the English language as we know it. It is simply a new way to communicate, one that our students have far more access to than they do more classical forms of the language.

David Craig, who wrote the paper, says “the United States is not teaching as much English as it used to.” According to statistics from the College Board Craig references in the paper, “enrollment in English composition and grammar classes has decreased in the last decade by 14%.” That number does not seem like much until one stops to consider the comparable exponential increase in cell phone and instant message use in that same time period. Between 2004 and 2005 alone, IM use was up 19 percent. That’s fairly staggering, considering how prevalent IM was prior to 2004. In terms of sheer volume, Shakespeare doesn’t stand a chance.

Unless we put as much emphasis on reading and writing as there naturally is on math, when students write formally they will, as Craig asserts, revert to the forms with which they are most familiar. In this case, that form is the shortened form common in IM and text-message writing. There are no differing literacies in the mathematical world. 2 x 2 is the same in any part of the world, and students learn this language beginning in kindergarten. The linear nature of math makes it inherently less challenging for most to learn than language and all of its intricacies and variety of forms. Couple this with the ubiquity of math versus that of classical forms of English language and writing, and it is very easy to understand why math scores on standardized exams have increased while language scores on standardized exams have gone down.

So what are teachers to do? For one thing, English teachers alone should not be forced to take on the task of working various forms and modes of language into their curriculum. Rather than maintaining the traditional teaching of social studies – that being asking students to read from a textbook and regurgitate the information come test-time – teachers in this field should consider incorporating primary source materials to teach their students. Most of the best orators and rhetoricians have had major impacts on the shaping of our world’s history. Why not allow students to read the works of Churchill, Lincoln, Kennedy, Marx and others? This would not only allow students to more concretely shape their perspectives on history, it would give them access to language being used in ways that most English teachers do not have time to cover.

Craig is correct in saying the English language is not “under attack” as many English teachers (like me a few short weeks ago) believe. However, as educators we must understand that we owe it to our students to engage them in ways that maintains the knowledge and thoughts of the past as a part of the conversation of the present.

3 comments:

Crystal Crozier said...

First of all, let me once again say how much I enjoy reading your blog. Your words are fluid and seem effortless; it is always a pleasure to read your eloquent postings.

You stated, "as educators we must understand that we owe it to our students to engage them in ways that maintains the knowledge and thoughts of the past as a part of the conversation of the present." Also referencing your idea of using primary sources to teach social studies, I must say I couldn't agree with you more. Although textbooks shouldn't be, they are sometimes a little biased. Our social studies book takes a less than neutral stance on the Civil War and World Wars I and II. Primary sources not only allow the learner to indulge themselves in authentic replicas of the past, but they give valuable opinions of the individuals involved during the time. If primary sources are chosen to represent all sides of an issue, true learning can occur because students can make their own valued judgments.

Laine said...

Crystal's post actually included many of the same ideas I found most interesting, including the quote about the responsibility of educators. In a way we're bridging the gap. Your thought sparked an interest to find articles related to concerns about education as it related to the introduction of the computer, but it's difficult to find arcticles that are that old! I'll be on the lookout.


When I first read your post, I missed the significance of the following idea related to primary source books. "This would not only allow students to more concretely shape their perspectives on history, it would give them access to language being used in ways that most English teachers do not have time to cover." Great point!! As you probably know by now, I am a huge advocate of exposing children to as many educational opportunities as possible because you never know when you'll ignite a spark. Besides, we owe it to these kids to show them how technologies and education have evolved so that they are in a better position to have discussions mirroring the ones we are having right now.

Ann V. said...

Richard-

First of all, thanks for including the link to your classmates-very cool! Second, did you change the title to your blog or am I going crazy? Third, I want to write like you when I grow up :)! As Crystal mentioned, your words are "fluid and seem effortless." I feel "sophomoric" (your words again) in comparison!

I'm going to digress a little here, but one of the reasons I am so addicted to following blogs (when I'm not buried in teacher inquiries and 1:1 laptop research) is that I am fascinated by the differing writing styles of the authors. Topics aside, I am drawn in by the "style." I keep thinking perhaps my writing will improve if I pay enough attention. I always think too, that if I were an English teacher, I could have a field day using blogs as writing examples in the classroom. What a perfect way to "engage them in ways that maintain the knowledge and thoughts of the present as a part of the conversation of the past" as you recommended and possibly provide them with excellent primary source material at the same time.

Are there any projects out there where the students take a Shakespeare scene and rewrite it using IM text? I would think that would be very appealing to a high school student. Given time, I can decipher most IM, but find it scary that I could be considered "illiterate" when it comes to this new literacy. I'm glad you were able to see through the dark side of this trend!

I am interested to know what direction you think your final paper will take. Your topic seems a little broader than the rest, any ideas on what you'll focus on?

Ann