Sunday, April 8, 2007

Skydiving

In an online article written in 2004, Steven Krause talks about a failed experiment in blogging. At one point, he references our own Dr. Ferdig’s collaboration with Kaye Trammell titled "Content Delivery in the Blogosphere". I mention this because it exemplifies the power the internet has to connect people. In Jeff Utecht’s blog, for instance, I e-bumped into my former assistant principal. He now lives in Colorado. I never expected to have contact with him again.

Nevertheless, I digress. Krause’s failed experiment, and the circumstances surrounding the incident with the female student and them e-mailing list, led him to conclude the following:

No question, blogs are an exciting writing tool, one of the most interesting and potentially most useful to come to the writing classroom since email. Blogs work well for writing projects like the two I just described, where individual students publishing texts they own. But it's become clear to me that blogs are not as useful as the relatively old-fashioned technology of electronic mailing lists for writing that is interactive and dynamic. How does the saying go? If it ain't broke...

I think our discussions the past few weeks have proven Krause wrong. I do, however, agree that students, even Master’s degree students, need some structure when assigned, well, anything. I know I work better if I have examples to look at, some guiding questions or things to think about, something against which to base my work. I think such structures actually open up creative avenues rather than closing them off, if the structures are implemented properly. I like the idea of grouping students based on similarities, as Dr. Ferdig did in grouping his students together for EME 5404. Even though I’m pretty sure most of the class does “the minimum” three postings and two comments a week, as Crystal has noted a few times, I feel I am getting more out of these authentic discussions than I have in most face-to-face classes I have taken at any level of schooling.

I plan on doing blogs with my students next year, 11th grade AP English Language and Composition students. And I know that, even if I have the top ten students in school in one class together, they will need structure, they will need to know where they are going and what – generally – their work should look like. This is hardly a criticism of Krause as a teacher, because I have made the same mistake he made and admitted to: jumping without a parachute. In some cases I was lucky and landed in a pillow factory with an open window. In most cases, the ground met me, and my students, very hard.

4 comments:

Crystal Crozier said...

First of all, glad we are agreeing about the non face-to-face interaction of this class and how it can be beneficial. We've come a long way. Smile!

Now, I would like to examine this statement of yours: "I have made the same mistake he made and admitted to: jumping without a parachute. In some cases I was lucky and landed in a pillow factory with an open window. In most cases, the ground met me, and my students, very hard."

This made me think of Laine's blog. In her March 19th entry, she exclaimed, "We work so hard to bridge the gap, only to hear one day later about the latest and greatest. Professional development so often goes sour because something bigger and better comes along. It takes guts to stick to one idea or program, but we never want to risk missing out on the new." It also reminds me of Ann's recent "Show and Tell" entry on April 3rd.

I know your blog entry isn't specifically referencing professional development, but aren't we creating our own professional development right here--all this research we have been conducting, the feedback we've gained from our classmates, the time and effort we've put in to getting to know the material?

I really feel that after all of this, we will have huge parachutes guiding us down as we reach our goals we have created during this class. I will be the first to admit that I have jumped the gun and tried something because as Laine said, it was the latest and greatest, or because like Ann references, someone gave me a wonderful idea and I had to try it out. No wonder I have often hit the ground hard as well.

Ann V. said...

Ok, now I've got Tim McGraw in my head...skydiving...rocky mountain climbing...2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu...something like that. But, as you would say, I digress. I am in awe of the power the internet has to connect people. I can get so lost among the links, bouncing from one cool idea to another. Most of the time, I have to call up my rationality and put the brakes on. I usually walk away with so many ideas floating around in my head and so much excitement about trying them for myself and then...the kids need baths, the bills need paid, the laundry is staring me down, and ...excitement quashed.

The point, however, is that this potential to excite is only a click away. I can log on and find the best way to hard boil eggs (Easter you know, and yes, I am that pathetic of a cook), the lyrics to a Tim McGraw song, multiple perspectives on the last episode of Grey's Anatomy, a wealth of resources on 1:1 computing programs, and how a 4th grade class is using Skype to include a student with leukemia in the classroom. The best part of this is the serendipitousness (is that a word?) of it all. Unexpected connections to information you didn't know you were missing.

While I am in awe of the ease of access to inspiration, I can also see how it is contributing to a generation of impatience. I have greater expectations in terms of ease of use, speed, etc. in all aspects of life, and I did not grow up with those expectations. I can't imagine what the implications are for those who have known nothing else.

I am also in complete agreement with you about the importance of a little scaffolding. I too work much better with some structure, a few examples, a rubric, etc. Jumping without a parachute is not my thing and it has been my experience, teaching both teens and adults, that most of them would prefer to have some guidelines too.

Ann V. said...

Ok, I cannot believe I spent so much time yesterday responding to this post and it is gone! Something stupid I did I suppose, but boy I am not so all about being polite to my computer right now (Media Equation reference for those who haven't read it yet!)

I know that I touched on the power of connectivity and the sheer serendipitousness of connections that can be made through blogging and the web in general. It's so helpful to know that you can jump on the computer and find the answer to most questions with a few clicks.

I also remember discussing the "structure" you mention. I am that kind of student. I like to be able to have examples of "perfect" or close to perfect work. I like to have an idea of what instructors are looking for and find rubrics very helpful. This scaffolding, as you note, does open up creative avenues as it takes some of the stress off of continuously wondering if you're on the right track. I know my high school and middle school students, and most of my community college students need that scaffolding as well. It also helps eliminate a barrage of questions regarding every assignment.

I'm gonna need a parachute.

Ann

Ann V. said...

Where oh where are my posts to this entry going? Once I can attribute to my own stupidity...but twice? Can whatever black hole is sucking up my replies please send them back?

Ann